Marian sheet music collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains over 700 pieces of sheet music on Marian topics, including hymns, mass settings, orchestral scores, and Christmas carols.
- 1598-2012, bulk 1860-2012
- Majority of material found within 1860 - 2012
Language of Materials
Collection contains materials in Catalan, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Latin, Polish, Russian, and Spanish.
Access to Materials
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the Marian Library
The Marian Library was founded by the Marianists of the University of Dayton in 1943 to make the Blessed Virgin Mary better known, loved, and served. It is a special library whose presence on campus is a significant expression of the university's Catholic and Marianist identity.
Its collections are developed and maintained to preserve and provide access to materials that support its mission of fostering Marian scholarship and sound Marian devotion.
The Marian Library is recognized both nationally and internationally as a center for scholarship on the Blessed Virgin Mary. It serves the research needs of faculty and students of the International Marian Research Institute and of the broader University of Dayton community, and of visitors throughout the world. It also documents the diverse expressions of popular devotion to Mary, and it provides public outreach through its exhibits, tours, and reference services.
For more information on the Marian Library, please see the website.
10.5 Linear Feet (7 banker boxes)
This collection contains sheet music with a Marian dimension. This collection is international in scope, and a bulk of the music dates from the 1860s through the present day.
Items in this collection have been arranged alphabetically by composer's last name. Items with an unknown composer are arranged by title at the end of the collection. Oversized materials are marked in the inventory and housed separately.
Development of the Marian sheet music collection is ongoing, and new acquisitions will continue to be added to the collection.
- Catholic Church -- Hymns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Choruses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christmas music -- Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Songs and music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Masses -- Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orchestral music -- Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organ music -- Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Piano music -- Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Marian sheet music collection
- Colleen Hoelscher
- February 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Marian Library
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360