Marianist magazine and Mary Today records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains materials relating to the history and activities of the Catholic periodical, the Marianist, later renamed Mary Today. The collection primarily covers the years when the magazine was being published out of the Marian Library from 1955-1967. The collection contains administrative records including meeting minutes, reports, planning documents, advertising, marketing, and correspondence documenting the activities of the magazine and it's employees. The collection also includes correspondence, manuscripts, and photographs from individual contributors as well as correspondence with Catholic organizations that were associated with the periodical. Additionally, there are manuscripts of Marian plays and scripts, poems, photographs, and some original illustrations. The collection includes a series on subject files and research materials for themed issues of the Marianist and Mary Today.
- Majority of material found within 1959 - 1964
- Marianists (Contributor, Organization)
- Marian Library (Organization)
Access to Materials
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the Marianist magazine and Mary Today
The periodical was founded in July 1901 in Dayton, Ohio, as the Messenger of the Society of Mary, Province of America. The periodical was published by the Cincinnati Province of the Society of Mary and included articles on the Society of Mary, its works, and its members. Many of the articles were of a pedagogical nature. The periodical was published under this title until 1904 and was renamed the Apostle of Mary: Echo of the Labors and Missions of the Society of Mary in January of 1905. Publication was suspended after June 1921 but revived in January 1927. Beginning with the January 1944 issue the magazine changed its name to the Marianist. Editing responsibilities were transferred to Rev. William J. Ferree, S.M. The January 1944 issue included an explanation for the change in title as well as an editorial on the history of the publication.
With the January 1955 issue (vol. 46, no. 1), Fr. Philip C. Hoelle, S.M., also the recently appointed Director of the Marian Library, assumed editing responsibilities for the Marianist. Along with the transfer of responsibilities, the magazine became a publication of the Marian Library at the University of Dayton. Succeeding editors were Fr. John Mulligan, 1959-1962; Fr. Charles Lees, 1963-1965; and Fr. Adrian McCarthy, 1965-1967. Beginning with the January/February 1964 issue (vol. 55, no. 1), the magazine changed its title to Mary Today. The magazine continued publication until 1967.
During the twelve years in which the periodical was associated with the Marian Library, it was described as a "Marian digest," which included images, news, articles, and commentary. Regular features included a one-page article on a Marian feast of the current month, a page of news from the Marian Library, and reviews of Marian books. Theme issues, in which all the articles centered on a single topic, included three issues on Frank Duff's Legion of Mary, five special numbers on Mary's place in the ecumenical dialogue, and four devoted to Fr. Chaminade, founder of the Marianists, and the works he established. Individual articles were sometimes chosen for reprinting by Catholic Mind, Catholic Digest, and other publications. On two occasions the Marianist received the award for general excellence in the class of devotional magazines from the Catholic Press Association.
10 Linear Feet (20 document cases)
Language of Materials
This collection contains materials relating to the history and activities of the Catholic periodical, the Marianist (formerly the Apostle of Mary), later renamed Mary Today. The collection includes meeting minutes, reports, planning documents, marketing materials, manuscripts, and correspondence documenting the history and activities of the periodical, primarily from 1955-1967 when it was published out of the Marian Library at the University of Dayton. Initially a means of communication for the Society of Mary (Marianists) about their spirit and apostolate, from 1955 on the Marianist became an all-Marian magazine. The magazine has been described as a "Marian digest" and included images, news, articles, and commentary on a wide range of topics related to the Virgin Mary.
This collection is arranged into 6 series:
- Administrative records
- Individuals and contributors
- Subject files and theme issues
- Marian scripts and plays
- Photographs and artwork
The records were transferred to the Marian Library from the editorial office of Mary Today after publication ceased in 1967.
- Catholic Church -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marianist Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Marianist Sisters -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marianists -- Periodicals Subject Source: Local sources
- Marianists -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marianists. American Region Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Mary today Subject Source: Local sources
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Marianist magazine and Mary Today records, 1944-1968
- Jillian Slater
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Marian Library
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360