Sally Cunneen papers
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the activities of Sally Cunneen, primarily related to her work as an author and educator, from the years 1952-2009. The collection contains the manuscripts and related materials for her books In Search of Mary: The Woman and the Symbol and Mother Church: What the Experience of Women is Teaching Her, including book reviews, correspondence, and articles on both books.
The collection includes Mrs. Cunneen's journals which contain research, creative and nonfiction writing, notes on classes that she taught, and some writing of autobiographical nature. Materials also include those related to her studies at Columbia and Fordham University in the areas of literature, education, and psychology, and her tenure as an English professor at Rockland Community College. Other materials include papers for talks, articles, correspondence, research materials, and some creative writing, primarily covering topics of Catholicism, the Blessed Virgin Mary, education, and women's studies. There is one box of audio cassette tapes of talks and related events.
- 1952-2009 inclusive, 1980-2004 bulk
- Majority of material found within 1980 - 2004
- Cunneen, Sally (Author, Person)
Access to Materials
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or their heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
Biography of Sally Cunneen
Sally Simpson McDevitt was born July 9, 1926 in Providence, Rhode Island to John and Marguerite McDevitt. In 1943 she graduated from Classical High School in Providence and went on to study at Smith College and completed her B.A. in History and Literature at the University of Toronto in 1947. In 1949 she married Joseph Edmund Cunneen in New York. In 1950, she and her husband co-founded the ecumenical quarterly, Cross Currents, and she was associate editor until both retired in 1998. She was the mother of four sons, John, Michael, Peter, and Paul.
In 1964 Cunneen received her M.A. in English Literature with a major in Renaissance and minor in English Novel from Fordham University. She went on to receive an M.A. in Philosophy from Columbia University in 1977 and received her Ph.D. in Philosophy of Education from Teachers College Columbia University. She began teaching part-time at Rockland Community College (State University of New York) in 1970 and later became a full time Professor of English. Cuneen retired in 1993 and was awarded emerita status.
She was the author of Sex: Female Religion: Catholic, In Search of Mary: the Woman and the Symbol, Mother Church: What the Experience of Women is Teaching Her, A Contemporary Meditation on the Everyday God and The Icon Reborn (with Frederick Franck). She was also the translator of Kurt Klinger's A Pope Laughs: Stories of John XXIII. In addition to her books, she also authored a number of book reviews and articles. Cunneen was a frequent speaker and presenter at conferences, many on Catholic and Marian topics. She passed away in Nyack, New York on October 30, 2009.
9 Linear Feet (17 document cases)
Language of Materials
This collection contains the papers of author and educator Sally Cunneen. The materials are primarily related to her books, In Search of Mary: The Woman and the Symbol, and Mother Church: What the Experience of Women is Teaching Her, her tenure as an English professor at Rockland Community College, her studies in education and psychology at Columbia and Fordham University, and additional articles, talks, correspondence, journals, and research materials, primarily on the topics of Catholicism, the Blessed Virgin Mary, education, and women's studies.
This collection is arranged into 10 series:
Series 1: In Search of Mary
Series 2: Journals
Series 3: Marian research materials
Series 4: Mother Church
Series 5: Teaching materials
Series 6: Coursework
Series 7: Manuscripts and fiction
Series 8: Articles
Series 9: Talks
Series 10: Correspondence and ephemera
This collection is arranged into 10 series:
- Series 1: In Search of Mary
- Series 2: Journals
- Series 3: Marian research materials
- Series 4: Mother Church
- Series 5: Teaching materials
- Series 6: Coursework
- Series 7: Manuscripts and fiction
- Series 8: Articles
- Series 9: Talks
- Series 10: Correspondence and ephemera
The collection was donated to the Marian Library by Sally Cunneen's husband, Joseph Cunneen and family in April, 2012.
- Catholic women -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic women authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christian union Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cunneen, Sally -- Archives Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Education -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminism -- Religious aspects -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Symbolism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Theology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Education (Higher) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Sally Cunneen papers, 1952-2009
- Jillian Slater
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Marian Library
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360