Skip to main content

Pro Maria Committee photograph collection on the Marian apparitions at Beauraing

 Collection
Identifier: ML-015

Scope and Contents

This collection contains 3 binders of photographs and images documenting the history and activities relating to the Marian apparitions in Beauraing, Belgium. The apparition, known as Our Lady of Beauraing (or Virgin of the Golden Heart) occurred to 5 children in 1932 and 1933. The photographs are a combination of original and reproductions; primarily black and white, and some color photographs. The reproductions are primarily photographs taken around the time of the apparitions (1932 and 1933). Many of the early photographs are of the 5 children to whom Mary appeared (Fernande, Gilberte, and Albert Voisin, and Andree and Gilberte Degeimbre). The original photographs were most likely taken by members of the Pro-Maria committee, many from related events and pilgrimages to the shrine. The collection also contains some postcards, prayer cards, and ephemera.

Each section includes an index and identification of the photographs and subjects. Topics included are the children to whom the apparitions appeared, their families, other persons involved with the apparitions, pilgrimages to Beauraing, the site of the apparitions, representations of Our Lady at Beauraing, the village of Beauraing, and ceremonies and related events. There is a master index to all of the albums and photographs located at the beginning of the collection.

Dates

  • circa 1965

Creator

Access to Materials

This collection is open and available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. The materials are non-circulating.

Copyright Notice

The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission form the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.

History of the Pro Maria Committee

The Pro Maria Committee was a Catholic organization founded in 1949 in Lowell, Massachusetts by Joseph Debergh, O.M.I. The purpose of the Committee was to disseminate the story of Our Lady's thirty-three appearances in Beauraing, Belgium in 1932 and 1933.

The Committee promotes an Association of Prayers called the Marian Union of Beauraing, distributes pamphlets, leaflets, medals, and founder, Fr. Debergh, co-authored a book; Our Lady of Beauraing (1958).

Extent

1 Linear Feet (3 binders)

Abstract

This collection contains 3 binders of photographs and images relating to the Marian apparitions in Beauraing, Belgium that occurred in 1932 and 1933. The collection provides extensive photographic documentation of the history and activities relating to the apparitions at Beauraing.

The collection was assembled by the Pro Maria Committee of Lowell, Massachusetts circa 1965.

Arrangement

The images are in the original order as assembled by the Pro Maria Committee. They are arranged by subject:

Missing Title

  1. The Seers and Their Families
  2. Other Persons
  3. Site of the Apparitions
  4. Various Representations of Our Lady at Beauraing
  5. The Village of Beauraing
  6. History and Development of the Cult of Our Lady of Beauraing
  7. The United States at Beauraing
  8. Ceremonies and Other Events

Acquisition Information

Donated to the Marian Library.

Digitized Materials

Digitized materials from the Pro Maria Committee photograph collection on the Marian apparitions at Beauraing are available on Digital@UDayton.

Related Material

The Marian Library maintains additional materials on the apparitions and shrine at Beauraing.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Jillian Slater in 2011.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Pro Maria Committee photograph collection on the Marian apparitions at Beauraing, circa 1965
Status
Completed
Date
2011
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English
Sponsor
Marian Library

Repository Details

Part of the Roesch Library Repository

Contact:
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360