Department of Music records
Scope and Content
This collection contains publications and administrative records of the Department of Music. Most of the material dates from 1950 and later.
There are two publications in this collection: The Dayton Descant, the Department of Music's newsletter, and the Department of Music Calendar. The Dayton Descant is an informative departmental newsletter for students, staff, and alumni. The Department of Music Calendar is a biannual calendar of department-sponsored events.
Administrative records of the Department of Music include office files, correspondence, department histories, department meeting minutes, and accreditation materials related to the National Association of Schools of Music. The largest part of this collection is programs from concerts and recitals sponsored by the Department of Music. Also included in this collection are materials related to workshops and symposia, such as the Liszt Centennial Festival; Forberger Symposium; and First Tuesdays, a series of public lectures and discussions in the Arts and Humanities.
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 2011
- University of Dayton. Department of Music (Organization)
Access to Material
The materials in this collection are open and accessible to the public for use in the University Archives and Special Collections reading room.
Copyright to the official records of the University belongs to the University of Dayton. Non-official records in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the Department of Music
According to the historical record, in 1904 Brother Louis Vogt discovered students playing instruments found in an attic storage room. He soon assumed leadership of their musical efforts, teaching these students band music and founding the first official band on campus. In 1919, with the arrival of the ROTC program, a large set of band instruments was included with the shipment of rifles, uniforms, and equipment. Brother Louis took advantage of this, teaching violinists and pianists to play the newly acquired horns and drums. Later, with the growth of the football program and the construction of the football stadium in 1925, the marching function of the band became necessary. The band continued to grow and develop, but when football was dropped during World War II, the marching band was temporarily dropped as well.
In 1938, demand for music courses arose in the teacher training programs within the new Department of Elementary Education. The Department of Music was officially established in 1938 to fill this need. These music courses comprised the first music program offered for college credit at UD and included music appreciation, introduction to music, and music in the elementary grades.
In 1971, the Department of Music expanded to encompass other art programs, forming the Department of Performing and Visual Arts. Patrick S. Gilvary served as the department chair until 1991, when the Department of Performing and Visual Arts split into two separate academic departments: the Department of Music and the Department of Visual Arts.
Today, the Department of Music offers degree programs including the Bachelor of Music, with majors in performance, composition, music therapy or music education, and the Bachelor of Arts, with a major in music (music studies or jazz studies concentrations). Students also have the opportunity to minor in either music or music technology. In addition, a certificate in church music is available.
University of Dayton music students have many performance opportunities through the various organized ensembles of the Department of Music. Vocal and choral ensembles include University Chorale, Choral Union, Ebony Heritage Singers, Opera Workshop, World Music Choir, and Hands in Harmony Signing Choir. Instrumental ensembles include University Orchestra, Pride of Dayton Marching Band, University Concert Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensembles, Percussion Ensemble, Horn Choir, First Flight Saxophone Quartet, Piano Ensemble, Early Music Ensemble, Javanese Gamelan, and Flyer Pep Hand.
The Department of Music is a fully accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. The music therapy degree is approved by the American Music Therapy Association, and the music education degree is licensed by the State of Ohio.
Other key events
- Art and music programs added to the College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences (now called College of Arts and Sciences)
- Music department located in the rear of the Play House (now called the Rike Center)
- Music Department moves to the newly completed Reichard Hall.
- Music Department moves to the newly completed Music and Theatre Building.
- Sears Recital Hall completed
46.5 Linear Feet (10 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Department of Music records, 1938-2012
- In Progress
- Sarah Staples
- October 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note