Italian Marist school scrapbooks
Scope and Contents
The collection contains mixed media scrapbooks created by Italian primary school students in 1952 and 1953. They include writing and images relating to Marian topics including Italian sanctuaries, Marian devotion, the rosary, Marian parishes in Italy, the life of Mary, and related topics. The scrapbooks are comprised of cut out images, collages, hand drawn illustrations, original artwork, colored print images, handwritten essays and transcribed writings, and calligraphic headings. The scrapbooks appear to be created as part of the school curriculum in order to study the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Scuola Media Parificata Principe Umberto (Organization)
- Istituto San Giuseppe (Organization)
- Istituto Champagnat (Organization)
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission form the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of Istituto Champagnat, Istituto San Giuseppe, and Scuola Media Parificata Principe Umberto
The Istituto San Giuseppe was founded by Marist Brothers in 1904 in Genoa, Italy. In 1940 it became Istituto Champagnat, a primary, secondary, and high school school for boys.
It is believed that the items labeled Istituto San Giuseppe are from the Istituto S. Giuseppe Per Fanciulle Derelitte (Orphanage for Girls) in Genoa, but it is unclear as there are more than 1 Istituto S. Giuseppe in Genoa.
The Scuola Media Parificata Principe Umberto was also established by Marist Brothers. It is located in Naples, Italy.
2 Linear Feet (4 document cases)
Language of Materials
The Italian Marist school scrapbooks contain the collages, illustrations, and writings of primary school students and were created in 1952 and 1953 as part of the curriculum to study of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The collection is arranged into 3 series, by institution:
Series 1: Istitutio Champagnat
Series 2: Istituto S. Giuseppe
Series 3: Unknown and Scuola Media Parificata Principe Umberto
This collection is arranged into 3 series:
- Series 1: Istituto Champagnat
- Series 2: Istituto S. Giuseppe
- Series 3: Scuola Media Parificata Principe Umberto and Unknown
This collection was donated to the Marian Library.
- Education -- Italy -- 1940-1960 Subject Source: Local sources
- Education and state -- Italy -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Italian Marist school scrapbooks, 1952-1953
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Marian Library
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360