Raymond M. Herbenick papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains published and unpublished writings of Dr. Raymond M. Herbenick. Also included are his research notes (focusing on St. Thomas Aquinas) and the program materials for a few presentations he made for Dayton organizations. The subjects covered by these papers include ethics, family ethics, law, logic, philosophy, religious thought, and higher education.
- Herbenick, Raymond M. (Person)
Access to Materials
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the University Archives and Special Collections reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, or scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
Biography of Raymond M. Herbenick
Dr. Raymond Michael Herbenick taught philosophy at the University of Dayton for 31 years (1968-1999). He served as chairman of the Department of Philosophy from 1973-1981 and on the Academic Senate from 1974-1975 and 1980-1984. He extensively studied the field of ethics and taught Introduction to Philosophy, Family Ethics, Practical Logic, Ethics, and Information Ethics. He helped to establish the University of Dayton CORE Program and the General Education program. In 1999, following his death on April 11, the Department of Philosophy faculty established a student award in his name: The Raymond M. Herbenick Award of Excellence in Interdisciplinary Integration to a Student Completing the CORE Program.
Dr. Herbenick received his bachelor's degree (B.A.) from Duquesne University in 1964, a master's degree (M.A.) from DePaul University in 1965, and both a master's degree from the University of Pittsburgh (M.B.A.) and a Ph.D. from Georgetown University in 1968.
2 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Faculty papers of University of Dayton philosophy professor Dr. Raymond M. Herbenick (1942-1999), including unpublished papers, published articles and books, and research notes.
The Raymond M. Herbenick papers are arranged into three series.
- Series 1: Writings
- Series 2: Research notes
- Series 3: Presentations and events
The materials in this collection were deposited in the University Archives by the University of Dayton Department of Philosophy on March 23, 2000 (accession 2000-002).
The Raymond M. Herbenick papers were processed by Rachel DeHart in December 2010.
- Augustine, Saint, Bishop of Hippo, 354-430
- College teachers -- Ohio -- Dayton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ethics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Faculty papers Subject Source: Local sources
- Herbenick, Raymond M.
- Philosophy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religious thought Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thomas, Aquinas, Saint, 1225?-1274
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Dayton -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Dayton. Department of Philosophy
- Guide to the Raymond M. Herbenick papers, 1965-1998
- Rachel DeHart
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note