Skip to main content

Knights of Columbus Council 500 Records

 Collection
Identifier: CSC-048

Scope and Contents

This collection contains a variety of printed records and publications as well as a large collection of photographs. The first series is comprised of formal records from council meetings including the folders containing Constitution and By Laws and Six-Point Program. The series is further divided into five sub-series containing official minutes, correspondence, Real Estate, Membership, and Financial Records. The series takes up the entirety of Boxes 1-3.

The Second Series contains Promotional Materials. There are folders concerning Newspaper Clippings and Awards and recognitions as well as two further sub-series devoted to Events and Publications. The first sub-series also contains some material from Ohio Knights of Columbus State Council Conventions. The second sub-series is predominatly made up of bullitens and issues of "The Five Hundred" and "KoC News."

The Third Series is comprised of material relating to Social Clubs, Sports Teams, and Related Organizations. There are three sub-series concerning the Ace's Social and Athletic Club, Columbian Squires, and Other Knight of Columbus Councils and Fraternal Orders. The organization in the first sub-series, the Ace's Social and Athletic Club, was not a church-related organization but was a local social club that many Knights were a part of.

The Fourth Series contains General information, broken down into one small sub-series of ephemera.

The Fifth Series contains photgraphs from a variety of Knights of Columbus events. The photographs are grouped into folders for specific events or era, if known, or miscellaneous folders if unknwon. The collection also contains a significant amount of oversized and framed photographs which are stored separately.

Dates

  • Created

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is open and available to the public for research in the U.S. Catholic Special Collections reading room. The materials are non-circulating.

Audiovisual equipment including a cassette player and a film projector is needed to access some of the media.

History of the Knights of Columbus

The Knights of Columbus were founded by Blessed Father Michael McGivney on Feb. 6, 1882 as a lay fraternal and mutual assistance service organization. Organized as a catholic alternative to the many anti-catholic secret fraternal organizations in the late 1800s, the Knights emphasized service to the church and their families, offering insurance to support its members.

The Dayton Council 500 received its charter from Supreme Knight Edward L. Hearn on February 25, 1900, during the papacy of Pope Leo XII and the McKinley presidency. The Council is affiliated with the area parishes of Corpus Christi, Emmanuel, Holy Family, Holy Trinity, Queen of Martyrs, Our Lady of Mercy, St. Joseph’s, and St. Mary’s, and provides charitable contributions in the form of time, talent and financial resources to the southwest Ohio area.

Dayton Council 500 initiated 80 men into the council on February 23, 1900. Meetings were held in the auditorium of the Phillips House. Club rooms were in Clegg Hall on East Third Street, formerly the Virginia Cafeteria. The council later moved to 27 West Monument St sometime during the 1910’s.

The Council is currently located in Bainbridge Hall at the intersection of East Fifth Street and Bainbridge Street, and across from Holy Trinity Church.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (12 boxes as well as a collection of oversized photographs (framed and unframed) and medals.)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Knights of Columbus Council 500 is the Dayton Chapter of the Knights of Columbus Catholic fraternal service order. Their archives contain pictures of celebrations and events, newsletters, official publications, correspondences, Council Records, and a collection of photos and ephemera from the Aces Social Club, which many members were also a part of.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

This collection is open and available to the public for research in the U.S. Catholic Special Collections reading room. The materials are non-circulating.

Audiovisual equipment including a cassette player and a film projector is needed to access some of the media.

Physical Location

U.S. Catholic Special Collections, 302 Roesch Library

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Knights of Columbus Council 500.

Legal Status

The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.

Title
Guide to the Knights of Columbus Council 500 Records
Status
In Progress
Author
Kevin O'Gorman
Date
2022-08-31
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University Libraries Repository

Contact:
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360