Virgin Mary and Child / Adam and Eve Springerle cookie mold
- Majority of material found in circa 1600-1750
Conditions Governing Access
This item is available to the public for research in the Marian Library reading room. It is not available for circulation.
Conditions Governing Use
This item may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or their heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
1 items (1 Box) : Carved/engraved wood. ; 25 cm x 23.5 cm
Language of Materials
No linguistic content; Not applicable
Vendor's description: Swiss/Austrian Origin, c. 17th Century 25 x 23.5 cm. Two-sided springele/marchpane mould. Carved subjects: Serpent's Temptation of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and the Flight of Joseph, Mary, and the infant Christ into Egypt. Both circular, bordered with wreath of bay leaves, 4 frets dividing the wreath, indicative of the 4 points of the cross. Wood moulds were popularized in the 14th century. Bible scenes became abundant in the 1600s as visual depiction's to entertain the mostly illiterate population as edible moral instruction. From 1600 on, Zurich was the capitol for Old Testament moulds, with surrounding communities making up the New Testament moulds. Molded pastries were a sign of prestige and often used as competition amongst families at community festivals. Two sets of initials - initials were used by baker/owner to signify their ownership. Having two branded initials may mean the bakery was sold from one owner to another.
Additional Resource: 17th-Century Pastry Mold: Linking the Past and the Future by Shari Nielson, University of Dayton (https://ecommons.udayton.edu/ul_stu_projects/2/)
- Gardens -- Religious aspects -- Christianity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Art Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- cookie molds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- pastry molds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- springerle boards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Virgin Mary and Child / Adam and Eve Springerle cookie mold, circa 1600-1750
- Eve Wolynes
- September 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for inherited script
- Marian Library
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360