Buildings and Grounds
Scope and Contents
This collection contains material related to the physical facilities of the University of Dayton, including the development, construction, use, and history of the campus buildings and grounds. Material in the collection includes files on each of the buildings on campus, both extant and demolished, architectural drawings and floor plans of various buildings, campus planning and development material, and campus maps. The bulk of the collection dates 1960-2000, with some material from the early 1900s and some from the early 2000s.
Series 1 (Buildings) contains files of material related to each building on campus. This often includes materials related to building dedications and any significant anniversaries, renovations or rededications. Notably, there are significant materials on the history and renovations of the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, the 1987 fire in St. Joseph Hall, the construction and dedication of Kennedy Union, the building of the Frericks Center (formerly the FIeldhouse), and the construction of Roesch Library. The series is arranged alphabetically by the current building name, and previous building names are noted.
Series 2 (Campus Development) contains material documenting campus master plans and development, as well as the records of planning committees of various buildings, arranged chronologically.
Series 3 (Floor Plans) contains floor plans of buildings.
Series 4 (Grounds) contains maps and photographs of campus, the bulk of which are arranged chronologically.
Series 5 (Blueprints and Renderings) contains blueprints and renderings of campus buildings, including significant numbers for Stuart and Marycrest dormitories, Roesch Library, the Science Center, and former NCR Building 26.
- Majority of material found within 1960 - 2000
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the University Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. The materials are non-circulating.
Conditions Governing Use
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to located and obtain permission from the copyright owner or their heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
Biographical / Historical
The Marianists purchased the property now known as the University of Dayton from John Stuart for $12,000 and a St. Joseph medal as collateral. In 1850 when the first classes began, the property included the farm, the Stuart home, and a caretaker’s cottage. These first buildings were all lost to fire by 1870.
Some of the oldest buildings constructed after the original purchase were designed and built by the religious community and students with whatever resources were available. The buildings were designed for the functions they served; they were built simply and to last.The oldest surviving buildings on campus are Zehler Hall, Liberty Hall, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, St. Mary’s Hall and the Rike Center. When it was finished in 1871, St. Mary’s Hall was known in the community as “Zehler’s Folly” and was the largest building in Dayton. All of these buildings have held many purposes over the years, including as classrooms, dormitories, a gymnasium, and housing for the Marianists. As the university continued to grow, more buildings were added up through the construction of Albert Emanual Hall in 1927. This first building boom included St. Joseph Hall, built on the site of the former Stuart home, the Powerhouse, the Heritage Center, Chaminade Hall, and Alumni Hall, as well as Albert Emanuel. These additional buildings also served as classrooms for students and living facilities for the boarding students and Marianists.
Construction of new buildings halted during the Great Depression and World War II. However the post-war influx of students led to a second campus building boom that lasted until the early 1970s. This period saw the construction of academic buildings including new,modern science buildings (Sherman and Wohlleben Halls),engineering buildings (including Kettering Labs), an ROTC building, and a new home for the School of Business (Miriam Hall). Other new structures built during this time include a student union (Kennedy Union), the student health center (Gosiger Hall), and new large dorms, including the first on-campus housing for women in the Marycrest Complex. The university also invested in new athletics facilities, building the Fieldhouse, now known as the Frericks Center, and a new library, Roesch Library.
Most major construction projects since the early 1970s have been student housing. These include the Garden Apartments built in the late 1970s;, Virginia Kettering Residence Hall, built in 1986, and Marianist Hall, Lawnview Apartments, and the Adele Center, all built since 2000. Significant additions to the academic campus included the Jesse Phillips Humanities Center in 1993 Joseph E. Keller Hall, built in 1995. Most recently, major buildings added to the campus footprint are former NCR buildings purchased by the university - Fitz Hall and Curran Place.
102.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials