Father Edward O'Connor papers
Scope and Contents
This collection holds Father Edward O’Connor’s research materials, which include manuscripts of his articles and other publications, and and his personal correspondence with other members of the Catholic Church about matters relating to the charismatic renewal movement.
- O'Connor, Edward D. (Edward Dennis) (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English, Spanish, and French.
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the U.S. Catholic Special Collection reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the Charismatic Renewal Movement and Father Edward O’Connor
Father Edward D. O’Connor, C.S.C., was a professor at the University of Notre Dame for forty-one years and was involved in the charismatic movement. He authored several works about the movement, including “Pentecostal Movement in the Catholic Church” and “Marian Apparitions Today - Why So Many?” The charismatic renewal movement within the Catholic Church began in 1966. It is based on the charisms given by the Holy Spirit to deserving individuals in order to strengthen the church, as identified by Saint Paul. The movement emphasizes meetings outside of Mass, which include singing, speaking in tongues, and a personal connection to the Holy Spirit. Its basis in personal worship has met controversy within the Catholic Church, but the movement remains active to the present day.
1.5 Linear Feet (31 Folders)
Collection of research material and correspondence of Father Edward O’Connor of the University of Notre Dame.
Statement of Arrangement
The collection is arranged in chronological order.
U.S. Catholic Special Collections, 302 Roesch Library
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- O'Connor, Edward D. (Edward Dennis) -- Archives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pentecostalism -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Notre Dame Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Guide to the Father Edward O'Connor Papers
- Olivia Hessler
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360