N.G. Basevi devotional materials collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains holy cards printed by the N.G. Basevi company. Subjects depicted on the cards include the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Eucharist, the Last Supper, baptism, the Holy Family, and St. Therese of Lisieux. Some of the cards have handwritten or typed inscriptions on the versos. The first folder contains nine cards that have a printed date of publication between 1934 and 1941. The second folder contains sixteen cards that are undated; these were likely printed between the late 1920s and the present. The third folder contains three larger format images, two depicting Mary and baby Jesus, and one depicting St. Therese of Lisieux. This folder also contains an undated postcard with St. Martin de Porres on the recto.
- N.G. Basevi (Printer) (Publisher, Organization)
Language of Materials
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open and available to the public for research in the U.S. Catholic Special Collections reading room. The materials are non-circulating.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
History of N.G. Basevi company
The N.G. Basevi company was founded by "Nino" Giacomo Basevi in 1927 in Milan, Italy as a publisher of religious art. The company claims to be the first company to introduce color printing to holy cards. After Nino Basevi's death in 1951, the company was taken over by his son-in-law Gianfranco Comincini, and expanded their production to include greeting cards. Today the company's name is Cromo N.B., and it continues to be run by the Comincini family.
0.125 Linear Feet (3 folders in Small Collections box 3)
A collection of holy cards and other devotional materials printed by N.G. Basevi, an Italian publisher of religious images, primarily dating from the 1930s.
Statement of Arrangement
Items with publication dates have been ordered chronologically in Folders 1 and 3. Folder 2 contains holy cards with no publication date, which have been arranged in approximate chronological order.
U.S. Catholic Special Collections, 302 Roesch Library
The Commemorative Holy Cards Collection (CSC9) contains nineteen holy cards printed by N.G. Basevi.
General Physical Description note
- Catholic Church -- Prayers and devotions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Devotional objects -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jesus Christ -- Art Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Art Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Saints -- Prayers and devotions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the N.G. Basevi devotional materials collection
- Finding aid prepared by Colleen Mahoney
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note