Dime Novel Club reprints
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of sixty-five reprints of original dime novels that were republished by the Dime Novel Club of Brooklyn, New York. The collection also contains one of the Dime Novel Club's catalogs and the Dime Novel Bibliography, written by Charles Bragin, club secretary. Due to the delicate nature of several of the reprints, photocopies have been made for use by researchers. The original publication dates span 1877-1915. The reprints were published in the late 1940s.
- Dime Novel Club (Organization)
Access to Materials
This collection is open and available to the public for research. The materials are non-circulating. The dime novel reprints are in fragile condition. As a preservation measure, researchers must view reference photocopies of the dime novels.
The materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the Dime Novel Club
Charles Bragin, an avid collector of dime novels, used his vast personal collection to issue a series of reprints in the late 1940s. This enterprise became known as the Dime Novel Club and was based in Brooklyn, New York. For a small fee, collectors around the country would receive the reprints through the mail. The dime novels featured heroes such as Buffalo Bill, Frank Merriwll, Nick Carter, and Deadwood Dick.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains 65 facsimile reprints of original dime novels, published by the Dime Novel Club of Brooklyn, New York. The original publication dates span 1877-1915. The reprints were published in the late 1940s.
The dime novel reprints, catalog, and bibliography are contained in one box. The dime novels are arranged in the order in which they were reprinted. A second box contains the photocopies of the reprints.
The dates given are the original publishing dates. The dime novels were reprinted throughout the 1940s.
- Adventure stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alger, Horatio, Jr., 1832-1899
- Austin, Howard
- Badger, Jos. E. (Joseph Edward), 1848-1909
- Boxer, Billy
- Bragin, Charles
- Brentford, Burke
- Buffalo Bill, 1846-1917
- Buntline, Ned, 1822 or 1823-1886
- Burr, Dangerfield
- Cobb, Weldon J.
- Dana, Dimon
- Dime Novel Club
- Dime novels Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ellis, Edward Sylvester, 1840-1916
- Eyster, William R. (William Reynolds), 1841-1918
- Fenton, Ralph
- Harbaugh, T. C. (Thomas Chalmers), 1849-1924
- Hoyne, Morris
- Ingraham, Prentiss, 1843-1904
- James, W. I.
- Jenardo, Don
- Jenks, George C.
- Lawson, W. B.
- Montgomery, Richard R.
- Moore, Harry
- Penny dreadfuls Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Post, A. H.
- Reade, Philip
- St. George, Harry
- Standish, Burt L., 1866-1945
- Stevens, D. W., 1849-1901
- Teaser, Tom
- Travers, J. M, Col.
- Vose, John D.
- Wheeler, Edward L. (Edward Lytton), 1854 or 1855-1885
- Winch, Will
- Guide to the Dime Novel Club reprints, 1877-1964
- Leigh Burnham
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note