University of Dayton Research Institute records
Scope and Content
These records document a portion of the research performed by UDRI from its 1956 inception through the late 1990s, including UDRI publications, news coverage, and annual reports. It also includes materials from early sponsored research between 1949 and 1956 and a compilation of materials gathered for the book The University of Dayton Research Institute Sponsored Research: 40 Years of Progress, 1956-1996.
- University of Dayton. Research Insitute (Organization)
Access to Materials
The materials in this collection are open and accessible to the public for use in the University Archives and Special Collections reading room.
Copyright to the official records of the University belongs to the University of Dayton. Non-official records in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). The materials are available for personal, educational, and scholarly use. It is the responsibility of the researcher to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner or his or her heirs for any other use, such as reproduction and publication.
History of the University of Dayton Research Institute
Vice President and Dean of the University Father Charles Collins first started discussing sponsored research with engineers at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in 1949. He then approached mathematics professor Dr. Kenneth Schraut with Wright-Patterson’s offer of a $10,200 contract for a data reduction project that would consolidate raw flight data into more useful media. Dr. Schraut selected 10 students and began work on the research in Zehler and St. Joseph Halls. Father Collins remained the administrative official in charge of research programs until 1956 when the university established the Research Center led by John Westerheide, who had worked with Dr. Schraut since 1941. The Research Center officially changed its name to the Research Institute in 1958 after administrators realized “center” implied a physical building.
Starting in 1960, UDRI reorganized several times in order to accommodate its expanded research presence. As of 2012, the individual departments report to the director of UDRI, who reports to the vice president for research, who reports to the provost. The current individual departments are Aerospace Mechanics, Energy and Environmental Engineering, Energy Technologies and Materials, Multi-Scale Composites and Polymers, Nonstructural Materials, Structural integrity, Sensor Systems, and Sustainment Technologies Integration Office.
UDRI has also provided the framework for some academic groups in the university to conduct advanced studies in their own fields and offer employment to students. The institute celebrated $1 billion in research revenue in 2003, and currently performs over $85 million of sponsored research annually, ranking first in Ohio and second in the nation.
6 Linear Feet (11 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection contains administrative records, institutional and media publications, annual reports, and program histories for the University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI), the sponsored research arm of the University of Dayton that was founded in 1956.
The University of Dayton Research Institute records are divided into four series.
Series 1: Administrative records Series 2: Research files Series 3: Publications Series 4: Institute history
This collection was acquired between 1984 and 2010 through the following accessions: UASC.1984.018, UASC.1989.006, UASC.1991.012, UASC.1997.009, UASC.1997.011, UASC.2002.015, UASC.2003.001, UASC.2010.013, and UASC.2010.031.
Accruals are expected.
Accessions UASC.1984.018, UASC.1989.006, UASC.2002.015 were previously processed. UASC.1991.012 was processed on July 6, 2011. UASC.1997.009 was processed on June 10, 2011 and UASC.1997.011 was processed on July 30, 1997. UASC.2003.001 was processed on June 29, 2010. UASC.2010.013 was processed on March 30, 2010 and UASC.2010.013 was processed on September 29, 2010. The finding aid, additional processing, and revisions were completed by Maggie Zakri in March 2012.
- Guide to the University of Dayton Research Institute records, 1949-2011
- Margaret Zakri
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Libraries Repository
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360